terça-feira, 14 de agosto de 2007

Whisper of the Heart (1995)


Watching a GHIBLI Studios animated movie is always a most solemn moment here at home.

I thought that 1984´s Hayao Miyazaki´s "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" was my first overwhelming Ghibli experience, but later on i learned that some TV soap opera versions of "Heidi, Girl of the Alps" were already making me cry when i was in diapers, and later on "Marco" which was aired on its infinite entirety in brazilian TV in early 80´s. Just remembering the stranded boy who was separated from his mother and is globetrotting around the world
searching for her was enough to give me heartaches in my pre teens.

Of course, later on came the infinitely sweet All father of all Teddy Bears, "My NeighbourTotoro" , the mechanical ingenuity of "Laputa, Castle in the Sky", the love letter to Italy (or Switzerland, dunno) "Kiki´s Delivery Service", the ecological fierceness and tragedy of "Mononoke Hime" and the sweet freshness of "Spirited Away" and the recent "Howl´s moving Castle".

I was proud in saying "I´ve seen them all", then recently, to my shock, i stumble upon a copy of
an anime i´ve never heard of: "Whisper of the Heart", so I guess I was wrong.

The cover featured a familiar "GHIBLI Studio" design, with a heroine much like all of Hayao Miyazaki´s heroines (truth be said, look like the same girl in slightly different ages and haircuts). The anime fan inside me felt challenged and blushed how come i´ve never heard of this! It´s 1995´s, how come i let it pass! So let´s fix this situation immediatly. So, it was directed by someone name Yoshifumi Kondou, over Miyazaki´s screenplay, it was the same team after all.

I was strangely thrilled, watching a movie, knowing it will be great, completely not knowing anything about it. So it began, telling the story of a Shizuku, a junior-high school student, almost in real time, with long contemplative takes, as she strives to write and complete a fantasy book, to prove herself that she can do it, in parallels with a boy that she likes, which makes violins. this is a Ghibli movie alright, and I was surprised how a version of that old country song "Country Road" could sound so beautiful in japanese, complete with a violin arrangement. Darn it, they did it again! Where´s the Kleenex?

Nenhum comentário: